04/02/2020 0 Comments
5 Garage Door Repairs You Shouldn’t Do Yourself
Like many homeowners in Calgary, you probably enjoy tackling DIY projects around the house. While there's nothing quite as satisfying as proudly declaring "I did that," it's time to call in the professionals when it comes to garage door repairs or garage door replacements.
Garage doors are the heaviest piece of equipment in the average home. If something goes wrong, you will need to contend with the crushing weight of a 300-pound slab of wood. Completing routine maintenance on your own is fine, such as painting the doors or oiling the springs, but there are some items you should not attempt yourself.
If you need garage door repairs or garage door replacements in Calgary, contact one of our professional garage door technicians to avoid injuring yourself or causing further damage to your garage.
Below are 5 types of repairs you should not do on your own.
- Replacing garage door springs - Garage doors are extremely heavy and without properly working springs they're dead weight. The powerful torque supplied by the springs is what makes the garage door open and close. Over time, the tightly wound springs can loosen and will need to be repaired or replaced. Special equipment needs to be used to get the job done safely.
- Installing new garage door panels - Replacing garage door panels is more complicated than it seems. The garage door opener needs to be disconnected. Once the old panels are removed and the new panels added, everything needs to be put back together again.
- Mounting new garage door rollers - Garage door rollers become bent over time and will require replacing. You can identify the issue when garage doors become wobbly, make unusual noises or move slowly.
- Fixing bent garage door tracks - Your garage door slides up and down in tracks to guide its movement. If the tracks get damaged in any way the door may not be able to open or close. If improperly repaired the door could fall askew, resulting in injuries to yourself or others.
- Installing new garage door cables - Garage door cables are under constant stress and, in time, will need to be replaced due to the normal wear and tear. For the garage door to function as it should you need to have new cables installed properly by a professional technician.
If you need garage door repairs or garage door replacements in Calgary, our team of friendly garage door technicians are here to help. Contact us today for a free estimate.